Tuesday 21 February 2012

And so it begins


Well Monday was the first day of classes.  It was a typical first day of classes, with boring introductory lectures, which consequently led to me nodding off every five or so minutes.  We only had a half-day of lectures, so not so bad I guess. The course set up here is in modules. So basically we do one module at a time, covering a year’s worth of material in about four weeks.  So 144 hours of lectures, assessment,reading, and professional practice for this first four weeks.  All I could think is, “when am I allowed to sleep”. This first module should be interesting…

After class Monday some guys and I went down to the river at the bottom of the farm to go for a quick swim.  It was such a nice day here.  Like mid 20’s! I was a little hesitant to jump in at first (because to the best of my knowledge, all of Australia is croc territory mixed with evil snakes). So like the good friends that my buddies here are, about five or so minutes after we get in they start screaming,“Snake!” , followed by sliding their feet by me, to give the illusion of a snake coming in for the kill…I should have kept my mouth shut about the snake phobia.

After that I got to try my hand at driving a motorcycle…not a pretty sight.  I got it started without stalling on the first try, but turned the accelerator a little too far… shot off through the paddock weaving left and right, screaming the whole way.  I stopped for a second to catch myself, but it stalled out of course. I got it set back up and took off, in the direction of the electric fence…weaved away after my friend Joe alerted me to it,swerving instead towards a concrete trough. As I got closer I was able to turn a bit and kick my foot of it to keep away a bit, get it stopped and manage to fall off while it was standing still.  Let’s just say I am learning humility a bit so far. 

On a side note: I got placed on the Church planting ministry team!!! Pumped!!   There are several ministry teams here with the student body, most of them doing  different ministries throughout the area, then there is the Church planting team and I was assigned to it.   Pray for me during this new experience; that the Spirit of God would work through me and strengthen me for however he may have me serve,  that he would kill what is detrimental to my sanctification and would mold me into his servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment